Sunday, September 1, 2013

Welcome to Southern Virginia University!

I made it!
It took 3 days and 3 shopping trips but I finally have everything I need for my dorm and have unpacked all of my suitcases!
My ward was just switched so now I meet at 1:00 (which I am SO bummed about) so I have plenty of time to blog on Sunday mornings.
      Here's an orientation recap:
My orientation group, group 10, is good. We have about ten kids in our group and 4 of them aren't LDS which is surprising to me because it is an LDS college. Both of my roommates are in my orientation group as well as another girl I graduated with at Mountain View. In orientation we spend a LOT of time talking about the honor code. We also toured campus.
      Here's an extra-curricular activities recap:
I joined the cheer squad. We had our first practice with just the freshmen yesterday and then cheered at the first pep assembly that afternoon. I also joined the golf club. Dad and I went and saw the course but have not met with the team or coach yet. I also signed up to run for Freshman Class President. I am hoping I can break this little losing streak I have going on. If not I will join a stuco committee.
      Here's a little party update:
There was a party I went to on Friday night and then was invited to a little after party of sorts with some of the older students that were there. Then a few of us went back to one girls apartment and watched a movie. I had a blast and stayed out way too late.
      Here's a boy update:
On campus right now are only the freshmen boys and a few older boys that are leading tour groups. Also in town you can find many a man in full uniform from the Virginia Military Institute. The boys I have met (all 5 of them from my orientation group) were not potential boyfriends. I'm holding out for the upperclassmen to get here on Monday.
      Here's a dorm update:
My dorm room is big. People kept telling me that and I never believed them but it is really huge! We have a gorgeous view and I can't wait for fall! To get to my dorm I have to hike up a very large hill and an even larger set of stairs (which I also fell down yesterday) (don't worry no one was around) as such I come up here as not often as possible. I got my desk all set up the way I want it and am glad at the way it turned out. The 3 of us share one bathroom and I always have to pee at the same time one of them is in there. So far I have always gone to the bathroom in the lounge bathroom outside my hall. My roomates are super nice! They should use vibrating alarms instead of loud ones that sound like fire alarms. Also we should all get in the habit of using headphones. I have yet to explore my whole building I have been so busy, But when orientation is over I am going to go explore!
      Here's a photo tour courtesy of my mom's photog skills.
 This is my bed. I am farthest from the window near the bathroom.
 Here is the dorm. Before I am unpacked.
 Our bathroom.
 My desk- pre unpacking
 This is the back of main hall. The short building to the left is the cafeteria and the building to the right is the student center. It has a little cafe and a game room. It also has the mail center and the bookstore. And the dance hall which is where the cheer team practice.

 This is the front of main hall.
 Here is me in front of the Knight statue (we are the Knights)
 Institute building/ward building/dorms behind it
 My dorms. The Lofts
 The view from Buena Vista
 The SAC. This is where everything happens.
 The cheer team
 Dad and I in town. (see what this humidity does to my hair?)
 My closet. And people said my clothes wouldn't fit!
 My desk, and I
 Room 312
 My fridge stocked with food because it is so expensive to eat at the cafeteria

My bed. Welcome to Southern Virginia University
-ALC

7 comments:

  1. Your room is huge! The campus looks gorgeous, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for cute guys in your ward today....or this week when all the students arrive. Good luck this week, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome. Meet some hot boys for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is beautiful... So glad I got to see it in person. I know you are going to have so much fun!! Love, mumzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this!!!! Feel like I am right there with you. I know you are going to be Queen of the campus!!! It looks a lot smaller then I thought. Post your address!! Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come you didn't join choir??? You have such a great voice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I have your blog address and can read all about your activities. I was afraid I was going to have to get it all 2nd hand from your mom. I told your mom you would think it was beautiful out there. Whenever we visit Tricia I love all the greenery everywhere. Don't get so busy with school that you forget to blog. We love you and know you will have a fantastic year. Grandma and Grandpa Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Campus really is gorgeous and I love the boy updates! Can't wait to hear about the upper classman. And now you can officially say, "I cheered in college," something I've always wanted to say.:) Have fun, I love those loose waves that the humidity have created. Say thanks to the hair gods. Lins

    ReplyDelete